From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:53:09
1 * wabe <wabenbau@×××××.com> [160919 20:50]:
2 > Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > A while back I was having networking issues. I eventually tried
5 > > drastically lowering the MTU of all the systems onsite and the issues
6 > > disappeared. I always thought the issue was due to the MTU on our
7 > > modem/router. Today I read that AT&T DSL requires a 1492 MTU so I
8 > > increased the MTU of our systems up to 1492 and haven't had any
9 > > issues. Do certain ISPs require you to change the MTU of your entire
10 > > network, or is this likely due to our AT&T modem/router itself?
11 >
12 > AFAIK the MTU is defined for every network interface separately. For an
13 > ADSL connection it is common that a lower MTU is needed because of the
14 > PPPoE header information that is encapsulated in the ethernet frames.
15 > But in that case it is sufficient to lower the MTU just for the WAN
16 > interface that is connected to the DSL modem.
17 > If you don't use protocol encapsulation in your LAN then there should
18 > be IMHO no reason for lowering the MTU of your internal interfaces.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Regards
22 > wabe
23
24 MTU is per network interface but you really don't want to end up having
25 your router fragment every IP packet because systems on your subnet are
26 using a larger MTU.
27
28 Todd