From: "Michael W. Holdeman" <lists@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Depclean
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:06:19
1 On Friday 19 August 2005 06:08 am, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:59:24 +0200, Sébastien MORAND wrote:
3 > > Now I try the dangerous following command as describe in the
4 > > documentation : emerge --depclean -p (just to see what should be done)
5 > >
6 > > And then I'm quite surprise, 41 packages should be removed, and among
7 > > them, a lot of usefull lib or tool (perl-ldap, xinetd, and so on ...)
8 > >
9 > > Is this result normal ? What did I miss ?
10 >
11 > This looks normal. For example, if you have -ldap in USE, you are
12 > unlikely to need perl-ldap. Packages like these are generally only
13 > installed as dependencies, they are not "end user" software, if nothing
14 > needs them, they may as well be removed.
15 >
16 > You can run emerge world -uavDN and revdep-rebuild -p after removing
17 > them, just to be certain your system is consistent.
18
19 Where do we easily find a list of "necessary" files, system files etc... so we
20 dont inaverdently remove them? For instance I am using udev for some time
21 now, can I let depclean remove devfsd?
22
23 Mike
26 Michael W. Holdeman
30 Powered by Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org |