From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Depclean
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:13:12
1 On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:59:24 +0200, Sébastien MORAND wrote:
2
3 > Now I try the dangerous following command as describe in the
4 > documentation : emerge --depclean -p (just to see what should be done)
5 >
6 > And then I'm quite surprise, 41 packages should be removed, and among
7 > them, a lot of usefull lib or tool (perl-ldap, xinetd, and so on ...)
8 >
9 > Is this result normal ? What did I miss ?
10
11 This looks normal. For example, if you have -ldap in USE, you are
12 unlikely to need perl-ldap. Packages like these are generally only
13 installed as dependencies, they are not "end user" software, if nothing
14 needs them, they may as well be removed.
15
16 You can run emerge world -uavDN and revdep-rebuild -p after removing
17 them, just to be certain your system is consistent.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Headline: "Explosion At Sperm Bank, Nurses Overcome"