From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo install speechless
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 09:10:24
1 On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, John Covici wrote:
2
3 > Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 23:18:14
4 > From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo install speechless
8 >
9 > On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 13:08:51 -0400,
10 > Jude DaShiell wrote:
11 > >
12 > > I got gentoo to boot and espeak although in the default run level with
13 > > speakup-soft=soft enabled in the kernel espeak is silent. I know the
14 > > system booted since I uncommented the TUNE line in grub and also added in
15 > > pcspkr into the kernel so was able to do a root login and then hit
16 > > backspace and the pc speaker beeps. I did not yet emerge alsa-utils if
17 > > such a package exists in gentoo yet. I'll have to use the install disk
18 > > again and get to chroot /mnt/gentoo environment again and try to emerge
19 > > alsa-utils to run speaker-test. I did hear speakers click twice during
20 > > the boot process so those probably work.
21 > > For me it takes about 2 days to do this kind of linux install with gentoo
22 > > and even with fedora moonshine that took less time to install and have
23 > > come up talking.
24 > > I did not go the systemd route, systemd looked lots more complex and I'm
25 > > having plenty of trouble with openrc as things stand.
26 > > More later as I find it out. Probably good an accessibility podcast for
27 > > gentoo is never done, I think such a podcast would deter any potential
28 > > accessibility users from ever attempting an install of gentoo.
29 >
30 > Did you load the speakup-soft module during boot using /etc/modules or
31 > maybe /etc/conf.d/modules or whatever the correct name is? This
32 > should get the module loaded and if using espeak, you execute that
33 > command, maybe in your rc.local or some convenient place and you
34 > should be good to go, provided alsa is working. No worse than other
35 > distros. I have speakup built into the kernel and use a hardware
36 > synth, so I am a bit better off, but you should still be able to get
37 > things going.
38 >
39 I didn't load that module yet I built it into the kernel. Maybe this is
40 one that has to be compiled as a module then loaded in though why this
41 should differ from your hardware module I don't know.