From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 20:09:14
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 9:32 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Time for plan B. I expect a drive purchase soon. $$$ Heck, it would
4 >> be faster to do backups, redo the whole thing and copy it all back. I
5 >> could copy it in chunks. First chunk gets me running and then copy
6 >> remaining stuff. Hmmmmm.
7 > If you start having large volumes of data it probably makes sense to
8 > split that off and handle it differently. I am storing my large stuff
9 > on lizardfs for this reason (though if starting today I'd take another
10 > look at moosefs or ceph). When you don't care so much about IOPS, or
11 > efficiency of small files, there are a lot of constraints you can
12 > avoid with ext4. Distributed filesystems also have scaling benefits
13 > because you don't have to try to cram your 10 hard drives into a
14 > single host.
15 >
16 > Ext4 can be grown online, but it can't be shrunk online. When you
17 > start getting to large filesystems you need to consider
18 > backup/restoration time and if you want availability you really want
19 > solutions that feature RAID and which can do all the operations you
20 > need online. Simply having a backup might not be satisfactory if your
21 > backup requires dozens of hours to restore, except as a last resort.
24 That is one of the reasons I started using LVM.  At the time, the
25 software you mention, except RAID, either wasn't wide spread or wasn't
26 stable enough for general use.  One day, I just may switch to the new
27 ways but I still have trouble remembering how to deal with LVM.  I may
28 try to plan to buy two hard drives, maybe the price on 10TB drives will
29 drop, so I can learn the new way.  Most of what I have are large files.
30 At least the things that I'm going to have on the new setup anyway.
31
32 My current plan, 6TB drive is a regular /home on LVM, already done.
33 Once I get space freed up, I'm going to remove one 8TB drive, reset LVM
34 on it, add encryption, still trying to figure out the steps on that, and
35 then add the 2nd 8TB drive to it.  I'll have 15TBs or so of space just
36 for large files and it's encrypted.  It will mount somewhere within
37 /home.  I'll just have to unlock and mount it manually.
38
39 I'm getting there.  Trying to get rsync to cooperate at the moment.
40
41 Dale
42