From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:54:01
1 On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 9:32 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Time for plan B. I expect a drive purchase soon. $$$ Heck, it would
4 > be faster to do backups, redo the whole thing and copy it all back. I
5 > could copy it in chunks. First chunk gets me running and then copy
6 > remaining stuff. Hmmmmm.
7
8 If you start having large volumes of data it probably makes sense to
9 split that off and handle it differently. I am storing my large stuff
10 on lizardfs for this reason (though if starting today I'd take another
11 look at moosefs or ceph). When you don't care so much about IOPS, or
12 efficiency of small files, there are a lot of constraints you can
13 avoid with ext4. Distributed filesystems also have scaling benefits
14 because you don't have to try to cram your 10 hard drives into a
15 single host.
16
17 Ext4 can be grown online, but it can't be shrunk online. When you
18 start getting to large filesystems you need to consider
19 backup/restoration time and if you want availability you really want
20 solutions that feature RAID and which can do all the operations you
21 need online. Simply having a backup might not be satisfactory if your
22 backup requires dozens of hours to restore, except as a last resort.
25 Rich