From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no more googleearth in portage
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:03:58
1 On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 07:55:43AM +0200, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
2 > I suppose it's due to Google's choice to support only Chrome, although I missed the Gentoo
3 > news bit if there was one.
4 >
5 > For Android there is the really good Open Street Map application, are there any desktop
6 > alternatives in Portage for non-Chrome users? I know OSM has a web interface but I'd
7 > prefer a standalone application.
8
9 Coincidentally, I am looking for a program with which to manage a collection
10 of locations. Many a year ago I did this with Googleearth – it offered a
11 tree in which I sorted all sorts of locations, mostly places that I have
12 been on holiday, with my school class, on tour with choirs and so on.
13
14 In the end I would like to be able to view a map of my
15 area/country/continent with a cloud of colourful flags/markers.
16
17 I don’t really want to use Osmand for this even though it uses kml(?), the
18 same format used by Googleearth. The reason being I only have a small-screen
19 Android device which screen is not comfortable enough for this task and its
20 storage space (for maps) is rather limited.
21
22 I had a quick look at viking, but I couldn’t really get a hang of the UI and
23 I got the impression that it’s not meant for this kind of use case.
24
25 I do use marble now and again, but unfortunately, it does not have a marker
26 feature at all.
27
28 Can anyone give a suggestion? Cheerio.
31 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
32 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
33
34 Freedom for the pavements -- death to the dogs!