From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no more googleearth in portage
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 23:49:27
1 On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 07:55:43AM +0200, Raffaele Belardi wrote:
3 >> I suppose it's due to Google's choice to support only Chrome, although I missed the Gentoo
4 >> news bit if there was one.
5 >>
6 >> For Android there is the really good Open Street Map application, are there any desktop
7 >> alternatives in Portage for non-Chrome users? I know OSM has a web interface but I'd
8 >> prefer a standalone application.
9 >
10 > Coincidentally, I am looking for a program with which to manage a collection
11 > of locations. Many a year ago I did this with Googleearth – it offered a
12 > tree in which I sorted all sorts of locations, mostly places that I have
13 > been on holiday, with my school class, on tour with choirs and so on.
14 >
15 > In the end I would like to be able to view a map of my
16 > area/country/continent with a cloud of colourful flags/markers.
17 >
18 > I don’t really want to use Osmand for this even though it uses kml(?), the
19 > same format used by Googleearth. The reason being I only have a small-screen
20 > Android device which screen is not comfortable enough for this task and its
21 > storage space (for maps) is rather limited.
22 >
23 > I had a quick look at viking, but I couldn’t really get a hang of the UI and
24 > I got the impression that it’s not meant for this kind of use case.
25 >
26 > I do use marble now and again, but unfortunately, it does not have a marker
27 > feature at all.
28 >
29 > Can anyone give a suggestion? Cheerio.
32 I think QGIS is a good option. I invite you to search for "QGIS import
33 location data." You should turn up something like
34 http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/importing_spreadsheets_csv.html.
35
36 I have no personal experience with QGIS, but I have come across it a
37 few times (coincidentally in the context of replacing Google Earth).
38 It supports everything from amateur projects to professional civil
39 engineering. It might feel like going 0-60 but try to give it some
40 time.
41
42 Respectfully,
43 R0b0t1