From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How packages are made stable
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:36:37
1 Robert Cernansky wrote:
2 > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:33:31 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:49:30 +0300, Robert Cernansky
8 >>> <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:48 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
12 >>>>
13 >>>>> Most stuff doesnt get marked stable mostly because there aren't
14 >>>>> any stable requests.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>> Stabilisation bug it not a requirement.
17 >>>>
18 >> Actually, everything I said in that last email was a little off.
19 >> Stabilization bugs are required because ultimately it is the
20 >> architecture team that is going to mark it stable, not the
21 >> developer. There are some cases where things can go directly stable
22 >> (such as security vulnerabilities), but those are the exception and
23 >> not the rule.
24 >>
25 >> So if you want something stable, do all the checks, file a bug, and
26 >> copy all the arches that it applies to. You can see which ones use
27 >> it on http://packages.gentoo.org/
30 > I perfectly agree with your previous e-mail where you sayng that "it's
31 > a notice telling the developers that hey, someone wants it marked
32 > stable." And I agree that stabilisation bugs are helping developers
33 > and everybody should write it when appropriate. But it should not be
34 > a requirement.
37 Thanks for dragging this out Robert, because I again need to make a
38 correction.
39
40 AFAIK, there is no policy saying that there's a requirement for there to
41 be a stablization bug. However, since it is the architecture team's
42 final decision, filing bugs is just the preferred way of notifying many
43 at once.
44
45 > In documentation [1] it is not mentioned a stabilisation bug. Is there
46 > any other documentation specific for architecture team that have
47 > higher priorty?
50 Yah, that doc doesn't really go into detail other than saying if the
51 maintainer thinks it's okay to mark stable. Again, strictly speaking
52 that is correct, since the maintainer should check off if the ebuild is
53 okay to mark stable, and then the arches decide if they want to do it or
54 not.
55
56 The doc doesn't go into much detail. It looks like there's no real
57 strict policy on the matter, and the de facto way of doing things has
58 worked pretty well besides that. :)
59
60 Steve
61 --