From: Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How packages are made stable
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:09:42
1 On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:33:31 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
4 > > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:49:30 +0300, Robert Cernansky
5 > > <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
6 > >
7 > >> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:48 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
8 > >>> Most stuff doesnt get marked stable mostly because there aren't
9 > >>> any stable requests.
10 > >>
11 > >> Stabilisation bug it not a requirement.
12 >
13 > Actually, everything I said in that last email was a little off.
14 > Stabilization bugs are required because ultimately it is the
15 > architecture team that is going to mark it stable, not the
16 > developer. There are some cases where things can go directly stable
17 > (such as security vulnerabilities), but those are the exception and
18 > not the rule.
19 >
20 > So if you want something stable, do all the checks, file a bug, and
21 > copy all the arches that it applies to. You can see which ones use
22 > it on http://packages.gentoo.org/
23
24 I perfectly agree with your previous e-mail where you sayng that "it's
25 a notice telling the developers that hey, someone wants it marked
26 stable." And I agree that stabilisation bugs are helping developers
27 and everybody should write it when appropriate. But it should not be
28 a requirement.
29
30 In documentation [1] it is not mentioned a stabilisation bug. Is there
31 any other documentation specific for architecture team that have
32 higher priorty?
33
34 The exception because of security bug, that you mentioned, allows to
35 ingnore 30 days + no bugs rule, it has nothing to do with
36 stabilisation bugs.
37
38 1. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap4
39