From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How packages are made stable
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:38:53
1 On 1/5/07, Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:33:31 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
5 > > > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:49:30 +0300, Robert Cernansky
6 > > > <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
7 > > >
8 > > >> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:48 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
9 > > >>> Most stuff doesnt get marked stable mostly because there aren't
10 > > >>> any stable requests.
11 > > >>
12 > > >> Stabilisation bug it not a requirement.
13 > >
14 > > Actually, everything I said in that last email was a little off.
15 > > Stabilization bugs are required because ultimately it is the
16 > > architecture team that is going to mark it stable, not the
17 > > developer. There are some cases where things can go directly stable
18 > > (such as security vulnerabilities), but those are the exception and
19 > > not the rule.
20 > >
21 > > So if you want something stable, do all the checks, file a bug, and
22 > > copy all the arches that it applies to. You can see which ones use
23 > > it on http://packages.gentoo.org/
24 >
25 > I perfectly agree with your previous e-mail where you sayng that "it's
26 > a notice telling the developers that hey, someone wants it marked
27 > stable." And I agree that stabilisation bugs are helping developers
28 > and everybody should write it when appropriate. But it should not be
29 > a requirement.
30 >
31 > In documentation [1] it is not mentioned a stabilisation bug. Is there
32 > any other documentation specific for architecture team that have
33 > higher priorty?
34 >
35 > The exception because of security bug, that you mentioned, allows to
36 > ingnore 30 days + no bugs rule, it has nothing to do with
37 > stabilisation bugs.
38 >
39 > 1. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap4
40 >
41 > Robert
42
43 This is interesting stuff that I didn't know. So if I've been using
44 KDevelop 3.3.2 forever
45 because 3.3.3, 3.3.4, and 3.3.5 are all ~x86, it's not necessarily
46 because 3.3.5 is
47 broken, just that nobody's certified it? How does this happen?
48 KDevelop is a pretty
49 big beast, and I'm only going to use the C/C++ part of it. I'd be
50 hesitant to proclaim
51 such a thing ready for prime time based on my usage.
52
53 What's the best and most helpful thing for me to do? Test 3.3.5 (or
54 whatever) as much
55 as I can and file a request bug stating what I've tested? Or just use
56 it and be damned
57 with the ~x86? Something else?
60 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
61 --