From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How packages are made stable
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:44:53
1 Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
2 > On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:49:30 +0300, Robert Cernansky
3 > <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:48 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
8 >>> > Looking at the Portage tree, I see that some packages are kept ~x86
9 >>> > for long time without any bugs referenced in the changelog or
10 >>> > Bugzilla. How are they being made stable (or where in the docs is the
11 >>> > process described)?
12 >>> They need to be in the tree for at least 30 days, no bugs, and if
13 >>> someone files a stable request ebuild, then an arch tester will test it,
14 >>> and then a dev will keyword it stable.
15 >>>
16 >>> Most stuff doesnt get marked stable mostly because there aren't any
17 >>> stable requests.
18 >>
19 >> Stabilisation bug it not a requirement.
20
21 Actually, everything I said in that last email was a little off. Stabilization
22 bugs are required because ultimately it is the architecture team that is going
23 to mark it stable, not the developer. There are some cases where things can go
24 directly stable (such as security vulnerabilities), but those are the exception
25 and not the rule.
26
27 So if you want something stable, do all the checks, file a bug, and copy all the
28 arches that it applies to. You can see which ones use it on
29 http://packages.gentoo.org/
30
31 Steve
32 --