From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How packages are made stable
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:09:33
1 On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 11:49:30 +0300, Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:48 -0700 Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
7 >> > Looking at the Portage tree, I see that some packages are kept ~x86
8 >> > for long time without any bugs referenced in the changelog or
9 >> > Bugzilla. How are they being made stable (or where in the docs is the
10 >> > process described)?
11 >> They need to be in the tree for at least 30 days, no bugs, and if
12 >> someone files a stable request ebuild, then an arch tester will test it,
13 >> and then a dev will keyword it stable.
14 >>
15 >> Most stuff doesnt get marked stable mostly because there aren't any
16 >> stable requests.
17 >
18 > Stabilisation bug it not a requirement. Package should go to stable
19 > after 30 days + no bugs even without stabilization bug. I have an
20 > impresion that developers are _waiting_ for stabilization bugs which
21 > is wrong.
22 >
23 > I've raised a similar question few months ago. It's pretty long
24 > discussion on -user and -dev:
25 >
26 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/166565/
27 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/40719/
28 >
29 > Robert
33 Thanks for the threads. My impression is that the way stabilization works
34 should be described in a place of high visibility, at least in the FAQ. I
35 beleive this question will be asked again and again if new users do not
36 see how "stable" is defined early. If they see the definition, no
37 questions will be asked. For example, I do not think that developers
38 waiting for bug reports to stabilize an ebuild is either wrong or correct.
39 It is just a part of the current definition of the term "stable".
42 Andrei Gerasimenko
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list