From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} DNS: no SOA record or DNSSEC
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 08:24:50
1 >> I use a fairly well-known (free) DNS provider. I just checked my DNS
2 >> settings at dnscheck.pingdom.com and I got:
3 >>
4 >> 1. No SOA record was found when querying the name server. This is most
5 >> probably due to a misconfiguration at the name server - a zone must
6 >> have a SOA record.
7 >>
8 >> 2. Nameserver * does not do DNSSEC extra processing.
9 >>
10 >> Are either of these something to worry about?
11 >
12 > Yes. Without an SOA record you don't actually have a zone.
13 >
14 > You should stop using those crappy dns checker sites, they tend to be
15 > full of shit, unreliable and operate off someone's idea of how DNS
16 > should be instead of reading the actual RFCs on the matter. Our abuse
17 > team has long ticket lists from people trusting those sites and now
18 > think there's something with how we do glue. Hint: Our glue is right and
19 > proper :-)
20 >
21 > Instead just use dig, using google.com as an example get the NS records
22 > first:
23 >
24 > $ dig ns google.com +short
25 > ns3.google.com.
26 > ns2.google.com.
27 > ns1.google.com.
28 > ns4.google.com.
29 >
30 > Then query each of those name server in turn directly for the SOA:
31 >
32 > $ dig soa google.com +short @ns3.google.com
33 > ns1.google.com. dns-admin.google.com. 2013081400 7200 1800 1209600 300
34 >
35 > That's a correct SOA record.
36
37 Does this look OK?
38
39 $ dig soa MASKED.com +short @MASKED1.MASKED.com
40 MASKED1.MASKED.com. MASKED.MASKED.com. YYYYMMDD00 3600 1801 604800 3601
41
42 > What could have happened with that test site is the query timed out and
43 > the site assumed the universe was therefore about to explode. Use such
44 > if you want but always verify the results yourself using dig.
45
46 Will do.
47
48 > The DNSSEC message is not a problem. It means your provider does not use
49 > DNSSEC. Again, the universe will not explode from this, we all got along
50 > just fine with plain unsigned DNS transfers for 30 years. DNSSEC is a
51 > way to digitally sign zone transfers and updates. Nothing to do with
52 > zone resolution.
53
54 Got it, thanks.
55