From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Regular user can't mount/unmount mtpfs; root is OK
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:08:32
1 I'm a total noobie at mtpfs/FUSE. My "excellent adventure" started
2 yesterday when I got a clearout 7" tablet, and took a sample photo, and
3 tried mounting the tablet... no /dev/sdb to be found anywhere. I went
4 to "Mr. Google" for help, and found out that MTP is the "new and
5 improved" way of doing things. So I installed mtpfs. It works great
6 for root, but a regular user can't mount the tablet. The mtpfs command
7 immediately returns to the command prompt, with no error message or any
8 other info. The tablet is not mounted...
9
10 [d531][waltdnes][~] mtpfs ~/tablet
11 [d531][waltdnes][~]
12
13 Before anyone asks...
14
15 1) Yes, I have enabled FUSE in the kernel. At first I hadn't, but I got
16 a big red warning when I tried compiling mtpfs. I tweaked and rebuilt
17 the kernel, and rebooted, then built mtpfs.
18
19 2) Yes, I am a member of plugdev...
20
21 [d531][root][~] grep plugdev /etc/group
22 plugdev:x:247:waltdnes,user2
23
24 3) This PC uses mdev rather than udev. Could that be the problem?
25
26 I've figured out a kludge to get around it. This involves issuing a
27 few commands as root. I could add them into a file in /etc/sudoers.d/
28 if there's no other way around this...
29
30 [d531][root][~] mtpfs -o allow_other /home/waltdnes/tablet
31 Device 0 (VID=0bb4 and PID=2008) is UNKNOWN.
32 Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
33 Android device detected, assigning default bug flags
34
35 [d531][root][~] chown -R waltdnes:users /home/waltdnes/tablet
36
37 The "chown" command allows me to get at all the data, and copy photos
38 off the tablet to my PC, and delete them off the tablet. And also move
39 any other data files to/from the tablet. When I was finished, I tried...
40
41 [d531][waltdnes][~] fusermount -u tablet
42 fusermount: entry for /home/waltdnes/tablet not found in /etc/mtab
43
44 I had to unmount as root...
45
46 [d531][root][~] fusermount -u /home/waltdnes/tablet
47
48 I experienced similar problems with simple-mtpfs, so that's not a
49 solution either. Any ideas?
52 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
53 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications