From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cross Compiling in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:58:07
1 On 1/17/2012 6:41 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Chris Walters<cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a question about cross compiling in Gentoo - specifically cross
5 >> compiling for W32/W64. I tried their preferred method and didn't like it, so I
6 >> downloaded the appropriate Mingw64 build files, set up a cross compile account,
7 >> with the appropriate paths, variables, etc. Most packages compile correctly
8 >> (though it sometimes takes some code hacking - and yes they do run in Win 7),
9 >> but there are some I can't seem to get to build properly - usually the ones
10 >> that have make files for MS Visual Studio. I have no interest in purchasing
11 >> Visual Studio.
12 >>
13 >> My question is, does anyone know of any good resources (mailing lists, sites,
14 >> etc.) on cross compiling on a GNU/Linux platform for a W32/W64 platform? The
15 >> searches I've run have directed me to sites that talk about using MSYS and
16 >> Mingw on a W32 platform (I don't have all year to build a single package). I
17 >> am looking to build GraphicsMagick, and some helpful tools for W64 (though I'd
18 >> accept W32, if that's the only way).
19
20 > For your specific problem: it is most unlikely that you will get a MS cross
21 > compiler that runs on other platforms than WIN-DOS.
22
23 I've had very good luck with gcc's x86_64-w64-mingw32
24 target, and gcc has supported Win32 builds for years, so I
25 dunno why you think this is "unlikely". My biggest problem
26 with MingW has been their occasional lag behind gcc in
27 versions, but I believe gcc 4.5 can cross-compile for 64-bit
28 Windows.
29
30 The setup is rather a pain but then again, if you wanted
31 "easy", you probably wouldn't be using Gentoo :)
32
33 http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mingw-w64/wiki/Cross%20Win32%20and%20Win64%20compiler
34
35 For the OP's specific problem, I'll have to try and build
36 GraphicsMagick on Gentoo and see what kind of build
37 structure is uses that is giving him problems but its
38 possible he just needs xbuild (the Mono msbuild
39 implementation.) Worst case it has an old VC++-style
40 workspace but those are usually just auto-generated out of
41 the makefiles anyway.
42
43 --Mike