From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cross Compiling in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 11:43:07
1 Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > I have a question about cross compiling in Gentoo - specifically cross
4 > compiling for W32/W64. I tried their preferred method and didn't like it, so I
5 > downloaded the appropriate Mingw64 build files, set up a cross compile account,
6 > with the appropriate paths, variables, etc. Most packages compile correctly
7 > (though it sometimes takes some code hacking - and yes they do run in Win 7),
8 > but there are some I can't seem to get to build properly - usually the ones
9 > that have make files for MS Visual Studio. I have no interest in purchasing
10 > Visual Studio.
11 >
12 > My question is, does anyone know of any good resources (mailing lists, sites,
13 > etc.) on cross compiling on a GNU/Linux platform for a W32/W64 platform? The
14 > searches I've run have directed me to sites that talk about using MSYS and
15 > Mingw on a W32 platform (I don't have all year to build a single package). I
16 > am looking to build GraphicsMagick, and some helpful tools for W64 (though I'd
17 > accept W32, if that's the only way).
18
19 I am not sure what you really like. Cross compiling is a general "problem" and
20 not related to a specific distro.
21
22 For your specific problem: it is most unlikely that you will get a MS cross
23 compiler that runs on other platforms than WIN-DOS.
24
25 In general: The most annoying problem with cross compiling is that GNU autoconf
26 does not support cross compiling and as a result, you need to manually create
27 results if you like to cross compile. The reason for this problem is that many
28 autoconf tests need to be run on the target platform in order to create useful
29 results.
30
31 Since July 2011, the Schily autoconf system (available e.g. via:
32 ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily) includes support for cross compiling by
33 detecting cross compilation and by running those tests that need the target
34 system either on a related target system or on an emulator. Note that the
35 autoconf configuration in ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily includes aprox. 700
36 autoconf tests - 70 of these tests need to be run on the target, this can be
37 seen as a hint that aprox. 10% of the tests need to be run on the target.
38
39 As you see, your question cannot be easily answered.
40
41 Jörg
44 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
45 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)