From: Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cross Compiling in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:52:43
1 On 1/17/2012 06:41 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > I am not sure what you really like. Cross compiling is a general "problem" and
3 > not related to a specific distro.
4 >
5 > For your specific problem: it is most unlikely that you will get a MS cross
6 > compiler that runs on other platforms than WIN-DOS.
7 >
8 > In general: The most annoying problem with cross compiling is that GNU autoconf
9 > does not support cross compiling and as a result, you need to manually create
10 > results if you like to cross compile. The reason for this problem is that many
11 > autoconf tests need to be run on the target platform in order to create useful
12 > results.
13 >
14 > Since July 2011, the Schily autoconf system (available e.g. via:
15 > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily) includes support for cross compiling by
16 > detecting cross compilation and by running those tests that need the target
17 > system either on a related target system or on an emulator. Note that the
18 > autoconf configuration in ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily includes aprox. 700
19 > autoconf tests - 70 of these tests need to be run on the target, this can be
20 > seen as a hint that aprox. 10% of the tests need to be run on the target.
21 >
22 > As you see, your question cannot be easily answered.
23 >
24 > Jörg
25
26 I am using the equivalent of the Debian cross compiler - without Debian. This
27 has been used to cross compile many 32 bit applications from Debian for W32,
28 from what I understand. I have managed to cross compile bzip2, lame, libogg,
29 libvorbis, vorbis-tools, and a few others - they all work. With most, I only
30 needed to set the correct path (to mingw), and specify the tools and target and
31 run the configure script. I ran into problems with gzip and zlib, however.
32
33 Thanks for the link, I will look into it. Though I hate the idea of running
34 msys and mingw or anything like that in a W64 environment.
35
36 The really annoying thing for me is that if you look at the Mingw64 site on
37 sourceforge, they indicate that you can cross compile from a GNU/Linux
38 distribution to W32 or W64 - and they give a list of apps that were
39 successfully cross compiled, but little in the way of documentation.
40
41 Chris