From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cross Compiling in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:48:30
1 Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > I am using the equivalent of the Debian cross compiler - without Debian. This
4 > has been used to cross compile many 32 bit applications from Debian for W32,
5 > from what I understand. I have managed to cross compile bzip2, lame, libogg,
6 > libvorbis, vorbis-tools, and a few others - they all work. With most, I only
7 > needed to set the correct path (to mingw), and specify the tools and target and
8 > run the configure script. I ran into problems with gzip and zlib, however.
9 >
10 > Thanks for the link, I will look into it. Though I hate the idea of running
11 > msys and mingw or anything like that in a W64 environment.
12 >
13 > The really annoying thing for me is that if you look at the Mingw64 site on
14 > sourceforge, they indicate that you can cross compile from a GNU/Linux
15 > distribution to W32 or W64 - and they give a list of apps that were
16 > successfully cross compiled, but little in the way of documentation.
17
18 GNU autoconf allows to set up "default results" for cross compiling when trying
19 to test things that need to run on the target.
20
21 Some of the basic GNU text utils either return most pessimistic values in case
22 of a cross compilation or someone did handcraft the related results for MinGW
23 and publishes such a modified source that probably will no longer compile
24 correctly on other systems.
25
26 BTW: I introduced the cross compilation extensions to schily autoconmf in order
27 to permit to compile my software for android.
28
29 Jörg
32 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
33 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)