From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from USB
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 17:10:56
1 On March 28, 2017 6:23:40 PM GMT+02:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On March 28, 2017 5:32:04 PM GMT+02:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
4 >wrote:
5 >>> Mick wrote:
6 >>>> On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 09:05:04 Dale wrote:
7 >>>>> Danny YUE wrote:
8 >>>>>> Just curious: why is top-posting forbidden here?
9 >>>>>> I have never found any reference for that.
10 >>>>>>
11 >>>>>> I would appreciate it if you could tell me something about that.
12 >>>>>>
13 >>>>>> Danny
14 >>>>> Here is one but there are tons of others.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>>
17 >>>
18 >https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/mailing-list-faq/etiquette.html#idp5
19 >>>>> 5147880
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>> Also, on this list, html is frowned upon as well. Plain text is
23 >>>>> requested, although some devices may not have the option.
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>> Dale
26 >>>>>
27 >>>>> :-) :-)
28 >>>> I thought the original joke went like this:
29 >>>>
30 >>>> A. Top posters
31 >>>> Q. What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
32 >>>>
33 >>>> A: Because it upsets the logical flow of the thread.
34 >>>> Q: Why is top posting a bad idea?
35 >>>>
36 >>>>
37 >>>> Anyway, Gentoo users often ask multifaceted questions which require
38 >>> more than
39 >>>> a single answer. With top posting we would need to send many
40 >>> response emails
41 >>>> to respond with clarity to all points the OP may have raised. With
42 >>> inline
44 >>> logical
45 >>>> flow of the conversation is retained within a single response
46 >email.
47 >>>>
48 >>> I have actually seen that in people's sig before. I can't recall
49 >who
50 >>> it
51 >>> was and haven't seen it in a while.
52 >>>
53 >>> I bottom post if it is somewhat a single subject or inline post if
54 >it
55 >>> has more than one topic. As you say, it makes it easier to know
56 >what
57 >>> one is talking about. I use what I feel will work best. Top
58 >posting
59 >>> tho, as your example/joke points out, makes it hard to figure out
60 >what
61 >>> is going on, even if one is following the thread. Of course, I also
62 >>> realize that some devices make that hard or impossible. Most who
63 >use
64 >>> those devices say they are.
65 >>>
66 >>> Dale
67 >>>
68 >>> :-) :-)
69 >> I use multiple devices. All modern phones have apps that allow bottom
70 >posting as default.
71 >> Inline is more difficult, which is why I leave those replies for when
72 >I have a real PC.
73 >>
74 >> --
75 >> Joost
76 >
77 >So those "smart" devices are finally catching up. Good for them to
78 >finally catch up to the world huh? ROFL
79 >
80 >Dale
81 >
83
84 I use k9 mail, which has the option to bottom post by default.
85
86 Inline is difficult with touch screen. But not impossible.
87
88 But I have yet to find a real smart device. The ones that are sold as such are quite stupid. A 3 year old is smarter.
91 Joost
92 --
93 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.