From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from USB
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:23:59
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On March 28, 2017 5:32:04 PM GMT+02:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 09:05:04 Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Danny YUE wrote:
6 >>>>> Just curious: why is top-posting forbidden here?
7 >>>>> I have never found any reference for that.
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> I would appreciate it if you could tell me something about that.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> Danny
12 >>>> Here is one but there are tons of others.
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/mailing-list-faq/etiquette.html#idp5
16 >>>> 5147880
17 >>>>
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Also, on this list, html is frowned upon as well. Plain text is
20 >>>> requested, although some devices may not have the option.
21 >>>>
22 >>>> Dale
23 >>>>
24 >>>> :-) :-)
25 >>> I thought the original joke went like this:
26 >>>
27 >>> A. Top posters
28 >>> Q. What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
29 >>>
30 >>> A: Because it upsets the logical flow of the thread.
31 >>> Q: Why is top posting a bad idea?
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >>> Anyway, Gentoo users often ask multifaceted questions which require
35 >> more than
36 >>> a single answer. With top posting we would need to send many
37 >> response emails
38 >>> to respond with clarity to all points the OP may have raised. With
39 >> inline
41 >> logical
42 >>> flow of the conversation is retained within a single response email.
43 >>>
44 >> I have actually seen that in people's sig before. I can't recall who
45 >> it
46 >> was and haven't seen it in a while.
47 >>
48 >> I bottom post if it is somewhat a single subject or inline post if it
49 >> has more than one topic. As you say, it makes it easier to know what
50 >> one is talking about. I use what I feel will work best. Top posting
51 >> tho, as your example/joke points out, makes it hard to figure out what
52 >> is going on, even if one is following the thread. Of course, I also
53 >> realize that some devices make that hard or impossible. Most who use
54 >> those devices say they are.
55 >>
56 >> Dale
57 >>
58 >> :-) :-)
59 > I use multiple devices. All modern phones have apps that allow bottom posting as default.
60 > Inline is more difficult, which is why I leave those replies for when I have a real PC.
61 >
62 > --
63 > Joost
64
65 So those "smart" devices are finally catching up. Good for them to
66 finally catch up to the world huh? ROFL
67
68 Dale
69