From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from USB
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:06:01
1 On March 28, 2017 5:32:04 PM GMT+02:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Mick wrote:
3 >> On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 09:05:04 Dale wrote:
4 >>> Danny YUE wrote:
5 >>>> Just curious: why is top-posting forbidden here?
6 >>>> I have never found any reference for that.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I would appreciate it if you could tell me something about that.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Danny
11 >>> Here is one but there are tons of others.
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/mailing-list-faq/etiquette.html#idp5
15 >>> 5147880
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>> Also, on this list, html is frowned upon as well. Plain text is
19 >>> requested, although some devices may not have the option.
20 >>>
21 >>> Dale
22 >>>
23 >>> :-) :-)
24 >> I thought the original joke went like this:
25 >>
26 >> A. Top posters
27 >> Q. What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
28 >>
29 >> A: Because it upsets the logical flow of the thread.
30 >> Q: Why is top posting a bad idea?
33 >> Anyway, Gentoo users often ask multifaceted questions which require
34 >more than
35 >> a single answer. With top posting we would need to send many
36 >response emails
37 >> to respond with clarity to all points the OP may have raised. With
38 >inline
40 >logical
41 >> flow of the conversation is retained within a single response email.
44 >I have actually seen that in people's sig before. I can't recall who
45 >it
46 >was and haven't seen it in a while.
47 >
48 >I bottom post if it is somewhat a single subject or inline post if it
49 >has more than one topic. As you say, it makes it easier to know what
50 >one is talking about. I use what I feel will work best. Top posting
51 >tho, as your example/joke points out, makes it hard to figure out what
52 >is going on, even if one is following the thread. Of course, I also
53 >realize that some devices make that hard or impossible. Most who use
54 >those devices say they are.
55 >
56 >Dale
57 >
59
60 I use multiple devices. All modern phones have apps that allow bottom posting as default.
61 Inline is more difficult, which is why I leave those replies for when I have a real PC.
64 Joost
65 --
66 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.