From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting from USB
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 15:32:22
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 Mar 2017 09:05:04 Dale wrote:
3 >> Danny YUE wrote:
4 >>> Just curious: why is top-posting forbidden here?
5 >>> I have never found any reference for that.
6 >>>
7 >>> I would appreciate it if you could tell me something about that.
8 >>>
9 >>> Danny
10 >> Here is one but there are tons of others.
11 >>
12 >> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/mailing-list-faq/etiquette.html#idp5
13 >> 5147880
16 >> Also, on this list, html is frowned upon as well. Plain text is
17 >> requested, although some devices may not have the option.
18 >>
19 >> Dale
20 >>
21 >> :-) :-)
22 > I thought the original joke went like this:
23 >
24 > A. Top posters
25 > Q. What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
26 >
27 > A: Because it upsets the logical flow of the thread.
28 > Q: Why is top posting a bad idea?
31 > Anyway, Gentoo users often ask multifaceted questions which require more than
32 > a single answer. With top posting we would need to send many response emails
33 > to respond with clarity to all points the OP may have raised. With inline
35 > flow of the conversation is retained within a single response email.
38 I have actually seen that in people's sig before. I can't recall who it
39 was and haven't seen it in a while.
40
41 I bottom post if it is somewhat a single subject or inline post if it
42 has more than one topic. As you say, it makes it easier to know what
43 one is talking about. I use what I feel will work best. Top posting
44 tho, as your example/joke points out, makes it hard to figure out what
45 is going on, even if one is following the thread. Of course, I also
46 realize that some devices make that hard or impossible. Most who use
47 those devices say they are.
48
49 Dale
50