From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 22:19:58
1 Am Sat, 20 Feb 2016 10:48:57 +0100
2 schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
3
4 > Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > Am Fri, 22 Jan 2016 00:52:30 +0100
7 > > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
8 > >
9 > >> Is WSUS of any use without domains? If it is, I should take a
10 > >> look at it.
11 > >
12 > > You can use it with and without domains. What domains give you
13 > > through GPO is just automatic deployment of the needed registry
14 > > settings in the client.
15 > >
16 > > You can simply create a proper .reg file and deploy it to the
17 > > clients however you like. They will connect to WSUS and receive
18 > > updates you control.
19 > >
20 > > No magic here.
21 >
22 > Sounds good :) Does it also solve the problem of having to make
23 > settings for all users, like when setting up a MUA or Libreoffice?
24 >
25 > That means settings on the same machine for all users, like setting up
26 > seamonkey so that when composing an email, it's in plain text rather
27 > than html, a particular email account every user should have and a
28 > number of other settings that need to be the same for all users. For
29 > Libreoffice, it would be the deployment of a macro for all users and
30 > some making some settings.
31
32 Well... Depends on the software. Some MUAs may store their settings to
33 the registry, others to files. You'll have to figure out - it should
34 work. Microsoft uses something like that to auto-deploy Outlook
35 profiles to Windows domain users if an Exchange server is installed.
36 Thunderbird uses a combination of registry and files. You could deploy
37 a preconfigured Thunderbird profile to the users profile dir, then
38 configure the proper profile path in the registry. Firefox works the
39 same: Profile directory, reference to it in the registry.
40
41 I think LibreOffice would work similar to MS Office: Just deploy proper
42 files after figuring out its path. I once deployed OpenOffice macros
43 that way to Linux X11 terminal users.
46 Regards,
47 Kai
48
49 Replies to list-only preferred.