From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2016 00:24:18
1 Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Am Sat, 20 Feb 2016 10:48:57 +0100
4 > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
5 >
6 >> Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
7 >>
8 >> > Am Fri, 22 Jan 2016 00:52:30 +0100
9 >> > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
10 >> >
11 >> >> Is WSUS of any use without domains? If it is, I should take a
12 >> >> look at it.
13 >> >
14 >> > You can use it with and without domains. What domains give you
15 >> > through GPO is just automatic deployment of the needed registry
16 >> > settings in the client.
17 >> >
18 >> > You can simply create a proper .reg file and deploy it to the
19 >> > clients however you like. They will connect to WSUS and receive
20 >> > updates you control.
21 >> >
22 >> > No magic here.
23 >>
24 >> Sounds good :) Does it also solve the problem of having to make
25 >> settings for all users, like when setting up a MUA or Libreoffice?
26 >>
27 >> That means settings on the same machine for all users, like setting up
28 >> seamonkey so that when composing an email, it's in plain text rather
29 >> than html, a particular email account every user should have and a
30 >> number of other settings that need to be the same for all users. For
31 >> Libreoffice, it would be the deployment of a macro for all users and
32 >> some making some settings.
33 >
34 > Well... Depends on the software. Some MUAs may store their settings to
35 > the registry, others to files. You'll have to figure out - it should
36 > work. Microsoft uses something like that to auto-deploy Outlook
37 > profiles to Windows domain users if an Exchange server is installed.
38 > Thunderbird uses a combination of registry and files. You could deploy
39 > a preconfigured Thunderbird profile to the users profile dir, then
40 > configure the proper profile path in the registry. Firefox works the
41 > same: Profile directory, reference to it in the registry.
42 >
43 > I think LibreOffice would work similar to MS Office: Just deploy proper
44 > files after figuring out its path. I once deployed OpenOffice macros
45 > that way to Linux X11 terminal users.
46
47 It's possible --- and tedious --- to copy a seamonkey profile to other
48 users. Then you find you have a number of users who require a more or
49 less different setup, or you add more users later with a more or less
50 different profile, or you need to add something to the profile for all
51 users, and you're back to square one.
52
53 I'd find it very useful to be able to do settings for multiple users
54 with some sort of configuration software which allows me to make
55 settings for them from an administrative account: change a setting,
56 select the users it should apply to, apply it and be done with it.
57
58 The way it is now, I need to log in as every user that needs some change
59 of settings and do that for each of them over and over again. This
60 already sucks with a handfull of users. What do you do when you have
61 hundreds of users?