From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: problem which makes gnome unusable
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 21:46:42
1 On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 14:45:43 -0500
2 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > Hi. I am having a very bad problem which makes gnome unusable --
5 > once I get into the virtual console where the xserver is displaying
6 > gnome, console 12 in my case, I can never get out of that console --
7 > control-alt-f1 or anything does not work. If I try to ssh in from
8 > somewhere else, I cannot stop gdm because the x server will not stop
9 > -- even kill -9 will not stop it and I have to reboot the system.
10
11 The part about kill -9 failing is exactly the problem I had with the
12 3.18.x kernel series a while ago. I know this problem must be hardware
13 specific because some distros are still shipping 3.18 kernels as the
14 default, and I'll bet others in this mailing list are using it without
15 problems too. I had some scary problems with that kernel version
16 that were very difficult to diagnose until I just rebooted with an
17 older kernel and the scary problems vanished. The 4.2 series seems
18 okay so far on my VMs. (Even my gentoo VMs had some minor problems with
19 3.18.x)