From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can RAM render useless the encryption of the / and swap partitions?
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:51:11
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:47:53 +0200 Alan McKinnon
4 <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
5
6 > On Thursday 04 October 2007, Liviu Andronic wrote:
7 > > And later on: "Now one problem is
8 > > left. Even with normal RAM a well funded organisation can get the
9 > > contents after the system is powered off. With the modern SDRAM it's
10 > > even worse, where the data stays on the RAM permanently until new
11 > > data is written.
12 >
13 > Pray tell, how does RAM manage to retain data when the power is off?
14 > It's either six transistors or one transistor and a cap per cell =
15 > not persistent.
16
17 In theory, for the one transistor and one cap case, you have a loaded
18 cap that will take "forever" losing its load, won't it? But in
19 practice, I think, that's not realistic.
20
21 > I don't know of any magic persistent RAM that's fast enough for use
22 > as main RAM. Flash disks are of course another story but you do
23 > appear to be talking about system RAM
24
25 There actually are new RAM types being made for solid-state storage.
26 But this is in a proof-of-concept stage, I think.
27
28 Maybe Liviu's professor had those magnetic drum memory units in mind
29 when saying that?
30
31 Anyway, cleaning memory on a power-off shut down doesn't make much
32 sense. However, it makes sense to clean up memory after having critical
33 data in it -- e.g. a reboot doesn't necessarily clean up RAM. And I'm
34 not sure if some mainboards even keep the RAM powered in certain
35 situations -- at least, they can as long as the power is not really
36 switched off (e.g. machine only in ATX soft-off mode).
37
38 -hwh
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list