From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can RAM render useless the encryption of the / and swap partitions?
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:09:32
1 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > In theory, for the one transistor and one cap case, you have a loaded
3 > cap that will take "forever" losing its load, won't it? But in
4 > practice, I think, that's not realistic.
5
6 It's actually not theory vs. practice. Even in theory, it's not just a
7 cap, it's a cap and a resistor. So you have a time constant, tau =
8 R*C. Since the capacitance is very small (picofarads) and we're not
9 talking large resistance either, you end up with a very small time
10 constant and that cap leaks its charge very quickly (which is why the
11 RAM needs to be refreshed and powered).
14 R
15 --
16 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list