From: Richard Cox <conardcox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 06:17:39
1 From:
2 Richard Cox <conardcox@×××××.com>
3 To:
4 Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
5 Date:
6 Today 01:08:51
7 > > Gentoo is difficult to install.
8
9 A highly subjective statement to be sure.  Many thousands have successfully
10 installed it...depends on your definition of 'difficult' I suppose.
11
12 >>Also, if it's left un-updated for
13 >> longer periods of time, it tends to break on the next update.
14   So does any dynamic system that is allowed to stagnate.  May I propose a
15 solution?  Don't leave it un-updated for 'a long period of time'.  It's not
16 that hard, really...if you are super paranoid, just emerge --sync once a week
17 and then emerge -up --deep world...I know, that's rocket science, but it can
18 give you an up-to-date system with little trouble...assuming you have
19 internet access, of course.
20
21   Again, I suppose that depends on what you mean by 'a long period of time'.
22 Let Debian or any other distro remain un-updated for a year or more tell me
23 about how easy it is to update without breaking.  Actually, that wasn't
24 fair...because you are basically going to do a re-install (or version
25 upgrade, as many distros call it these days) when that happens.
26