From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 05:50:48
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Gentoo is difficult to install. Also, if it's left un-updated for
3 > longer periods of time, it tends to break on the next update. I guess
4 > that's the downside of being versionless. Debian on the other hand, due
5 > to it being versioned, doesn't have that problem.
6
7 When I ran an internal gentoo server at my last job, I would try to
8 schedule an update about once a month. That was a lesson learned after
9 the box just worked great for 7 months, then we wanted to add a new
10 application that needed newer libraries, that turned into a 2 day
11 marathon to update the server (it was old, slow hardware).
12
13 I will predict that you will most miss portage after having to deal with
14 the brain dead apt package manager.
15
16 Good Luck