From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:53:52
1 Norberto Bensa wrote:
2 > On Saturday December 27 2008 15:14:26 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >> I run Debian on my server because it's "set and forget". With Gentoo at
5 >> home, I have to take good care of it to keep it going.
6 >
7 > Why? Does Gentoo forget how to do something? Why can't you just "set and
8 > forget" your Gentoo boxes?
9
10 Gentoo is difficult to install. Also, if it's left un-updated for
11 longer periods of time, it tends to break on the next update. I guess
12 that's the downside of being versionless. Debian on the other hand, due
13 to it being versioned, doesn't have that problem.
16 >> Another reason I
17 >> didn't put Gentoo on the server is because everyone would start spamming
18 >> the forums about lag when I emerge -u world while they're getting frags
19 >> in Counter-Strike :P
20 >
21 > set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
22
23 I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P OK, I'll also say that it
24 doesn't work. Everything lags even with 19.