From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:08:04
1 On Saturday 27 December 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Norberto Bensa wrote:
3
4 > > Why? Does Gentoo forget how to do something? Why can't you just "set and
5 > > forget" your Gentoo boxes?
6 >
7 > Gentoo is difficult to install.
8
9 Well, it's not really difficult - but it takes awfully longer than running a
10 binary distro install.
11
12 > Also, if it's left un-updated for
13 > longer periods of time, it tends to break on the next update.
14
15 Yep, that's the case sometimes even if you update regularly.
16
17 > I guess
18 > that's the downside of being versionless. Debian on the other hand, due
19 > to it being versioned, doesn't have that problem.
20
21 Hmm ... so then, how would you upgrade from one version of Debian to another?
22 I tried to do something like that with Ubuntu and the darn thing never booted
23 again! Had to wipe the drive clean and reinstall.
24
25 > >> Another reason I
26 > >> didn't put Gentoo on the server is because everyone would start spamming
27 > >> the forums about lag when I emerge -u world while they're getting frags
28 > >> in Counter-Strike :P
29 > >
30 > > set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
31 >
32 > I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P OK, I'll also say that it
33 > doesn't work. Everything lags even with 19.
34
35 Is that measurable?
36 --
37 Regards,