From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:31:45
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 27 December 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> Norberto Bensa wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Why? Does Gentoo forget how to do something? Why can't you just "set and
6 >>> forget" your Gentoo boxes?
7 >> Gentoo is difficult to install.
8 >
9 > Well, it's not really difficult - but it takes awfully longer than running a
10 > binary distro install.
11
12 That's why I do it at home :) For the servers, less work is better
13 (yes, I'm ashamed of this, but not ashamed enough to keep me from doing
14 it ;D)
17 >> I guess
18 >> that's the downside of being versionless. Debian on the other hand, due
19 >> to it being versioned, doesn't have that problem.
20 >
21 > Hmm ... so then, how would you upgrade from one version of Debian to another?
22 > I tried to do something like that with Ubuntu and the darn thing never booted
23 > again! Had to wipe the drive clean and reinstall.
24
25 On Debian, I simply changed all the string in /etc/apt/sources.list from
26 "etch" to "lenny" and ran "aptitude dist-update". I crossed my fingers.
27 I was relieved to see it just worked. I updated from Etch to Lenny in
28 10 minutes :P
31 >>>> Another reason I
32 >>>> didn't put Gentoo on the server is because everyone would start spamming
33 >>>> the forums about lag when I emerge -u world while they're getting frags
34 >>>> in Counter-Strike :P
35 >>> set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
36 >> I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P OK, I'll also say that it
37 >> doesn't work. Everything lags even with 19.
38 >
39 > Is that measurable?
40
41 On my Gentoo at home, yes. The mouse cursor skips, scrolling gets
42 skippy/laggy too. I have a dual core E6600@3.33Ghz with 4GB DDR2 RAM.
43
44 With all that being said, I prefer Gentoo of course. I've been through
45 Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, Mandriva/Mandrake, CentOS, Fedora and
46 openSUSE on my desktop PC. I finally settled with Gentoo; it's beats
47 all of 'em. But it needs more attention to keep it healthy and clean.
48 So I don't use it for the servers. More free time for me that way :P