From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 04:56:10
1 On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >>>> set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
3 >>>
4 >>> I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P OK, I'll also say that it
5 >>> doesn't work. Everything lags even with 19.
6 >>
7 >> Is that measurable?
8 >
9 > On my Gentoo at home, yes. The mouse cursor skips, scrolling gets
10 > skippy/laggy too. I have a dual core E6600@3.33Ghz with 4GB DDR2 RAM.
11
12 It's weird, I have the same CPU (overclock to 3.00GHz) and have no
13 lags like that at all when compiling with portage_niceness of 19, it's
14 totally transparent... in my kernel config i have it set to CFQ i/o
15 scheduler, tickless system, preemptable kernel, SLAB... i don't know
16 what else might cause it other than driver/hardware difference. I'm
17 using an Nvidia chipset with sata_nv driver and SATA disks. I'm also
18 using /dev/shm for the portage_tmpdir to reduce disk activity.
19
20 Paul