From: Man Shankar <man.ee.gen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:39:51
1 On 20:31 Sat 27 Dec , Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 >>>>> Another reason I
3 >>>>> didn't put Gentoo on the server is because everyone would start
4 >>>>> spamming
5 >>>>> the forums about lag when I emerge -u world while they're getting frags
6 >>>>> in Counter-Strike :P
7 >>>> set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
8 >>> I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P OK, I'll also say that it
9 >>> doesn't work. Everything lags even with 19.
10 >> Is that measurable?
11 >
12 > On my Gentoo at home, yes. The mouse cursor skips, scrolling gets
13 > skippy/laggy too. I have a dual core E6600@3.33Ghz with 4GB DDR2 RAM.
14 >
15 Interesting, i have the niceness set to 19 and i dont feel a thing with
16 regular stuff that you mention; browser is responsive(i keep many tabs
17 open at a time) and other simple things are fine. I am on relatively lower
18 specs: AMD64 X2 2.09Ghz and 2gigs of ram. I hope you are not running some
19 kind of cpu-throttling program (aka cpufrequtils).
20
21 The point is you dont update gcc/glibc/kdelibs/heavyweights everyday. Thats
22 where the lag should happen(due to disk I/O and not due to todays processors).
23 As for the smaller packages the effect is negligible wrt the benefits gained.
24 It is disappointing that even today so much hype is created about compiling.
25 I mean when i am not emerging the cpu sits idle at (0-3)% , isnt it nice
26 that we use our multi-core beasts.Obviously for those that run on lower specs
27 options and workarounds are available.
30 > With all that being said, I prefer Gentoo of course. I've been through
31 > Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, Mandriva/Mandrake, CentOS, Fedora and openSUSE
32 > on my desktop PC. I finally settled with Gentoo; it's beats all of 'em.
33 > But it needs more attention to keep it healthy and clean. So I don't use it
34 > for the servers. More free time for me that way :P
37 A properly configured server by its very nature shouldn't need much tinkering,
38 regardless what distro you run on it. The choice narrows down to basically the
39 admins knowhow and the organizations compelling needs. I don't understand why
40 Gentoo should not be easy to maintain as a server. A server has fewer software
41 hence fewer updates(ideally only security fixes-- GLSA?). Gentoo provides
42 magnificent tool eselect (Linux retards should be able to use it!!). So, Gentoo
43 as a server FTW !!
44
45 Regards,
46 Man Shankar <man.ee.gen(at)gmail.com>