From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Thanks and bye for now
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 15:28:27
1 On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:07 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 27 December 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> >> Another reason I
4 >> >> didn't put Gentoo on the server is because everyone would start spamming
5 >> >> the forums about lag when I emerge -u world while they're getting frags
6 >> >> in Counter-Strike :P
7 >> >
8 >> > set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in /etc/make.conf
9 >>
10 >> I'll just hay "ah, ah, ah" at that one :P OK, I'll also say that it
11 >> doesn't work. Everything lags even with 19.
12 >
13 > Is that measurable?
14 Niceness effects are most easily noticeable for CPU bottlenecks,
15 because context switching CPUs is relatively painless. Server loads
16 are probably more of Memory / IO bottlenecks, and context switching
17 between that involves disk swaps and disk prereads. If it is anything
18 more than trivial prereads / swaps, then even a 19-niced app can cause
19 noticeable bursts of slowdown on a modern system. Niceness isn't
20 magic, and compiling, which could easily max out all 3 resources (CPU,
21 memory, disk access, 4 if you add network), probably gets the least
22 bump from niceness.
23
24 Although that isn't to say that PORTAGE_NICENESS doesn't take effect.
25 Desktop machines with a single user will probably have speed bursts
26 small enough that it wouldn't matter. But I'd think twice if there was
27 something intensive supposed to be done on the server.