From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 19:01:29
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 11 December 2009 17:07:17 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Friday 11 December 2009 15:16:01 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> Rebooting will also do all of this but it is not needed. From a
9 >>>> technical stand point, the only time you must reboot is to load a new
10 >>>> kernel.
11 >>>>
12 >>> And these days, not even then :-)
13 >>>
14 >>> [it requires some voodoo but is certainly possible]
15 >>>
16 >>> [[and I don't mean build and install a new kernel, I really do mean loa
17 >>> ti into memory and run it, dispensing with the old one]]
18 >>>
19 >> I have read about that but never read something from someone who has
20 >> actually done it. I have always been curious as to how that would work,
21 >> in reality not just theory.
24 > kexec and CONFIG_RELOCATABLE
27 >> I have also wondered why a person would go to all that trouble.
28 >> Wouldn't all the services have to be restarted anyway?
31 > Nope. userspace ABI is stable so services just carry on as normal once he new
32 > kernel comes up. You don't need to restart SeaMonkey if you restart a local
33 > apache on your machine - same thing
37 That would be cool of you had a system that just couldn't be rebooted.
38 Is there such a thing tho? What would be the reason a machine just
39 could not be rebooted? I guess one would be if the puter was on planet
40 Mars maybe? Is that how NASA does it? lol Could you imagine getting a
41 blue screen of death on a computer that is on Mars? O_O
42
43 Dale
44