From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Raid install via ubuntu
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:36:19
1 On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:46:02 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> > Has anyone installed gentoo on ubuntu raid install?
6 >>> > If so, your experiences?
7 >>>
8 >>> I haven't tried anything that way, but is sounds like using Ubuntu as
9 >>> a fancy bootstrap to replace the Gentoo live boot environment, and
10 >>> seems unnecessary. Have you tried the Gentoo live DVD?
11 >>
12 >> I did this several years ago, because I wanted a functional distro to
13 >> work with while compiling everything, a long task with the hardware of the
14 >> day. It's no different to using a live CD for the job, just make sure the
15 >> tools you need are installing in the host OS before you start.
16 >
17 > I prefer to do it this way, as I can load up the Gentoo Handbook in a
18 > browser and avoid the risk of some typos by copy/pasting some
19 > commands. And if I hit an error[1], I can copy/paste if I need to dig
20 > up someone else who's had a similar problem.
21 >
22 > [1] And, really, every new box is unique, and I always find
23 > *something* to file a bug report against...
24 >
25 > --
26 > :wq
29 Is it the only running machine and you con only do the install sitting
30 at the machine?
31
32 I do most installs by booting the Gentoo install CD, enabling shh and
33 then shelling in from another machine where I run the handbook and
34 copy/paste the commandsin my shell terminal. No need for Ubuntu to do
35 that unless the machine is somehow in isolation and doesn't have
36 networking.
37
38 That said, using Ubuntu might be a very good way to do it especially
39 if you are going to build a RAID which isn't automatically recognizzed
40 at bott by the kernel. I.e. - needs an initrd. Think metadata > 0.9
41 and things like RAID5 or 6.
42
43 I once used Ubuntu to get a PowerPC machine booting Linux, then
44 studied how Ubuntu did and did my Gentoo install from scratch on a
45 different partition until it worked at which time I removed Ubuntu.
46
47 Just some thoughts,
48 Mark