From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Raid install via ubuntu
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:42:03
1 On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:46:02 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> > Has anyone installed gentoo on ubuntu raid install?
7 >>>> > If so, your experiences?
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I haven't tried anything that way, but is sounds like using Ubuntu as
10 >>>> a fancy bootstrap to replace the Gentoo live boot environment, and
11 >>>> seems unnecessary. Have you tried the Gentoo live DVD?
12 >>>
13 >>> I did this several years ago, because I wanted a functional distro to
14 >>> work with while compiling everything, a long task with the hardware of the
15 >>> day. It's no different to using a live CD for the job, just make sure the
16 >>> tools you need are installing in the host OS before you start.
17 >>
18 >> I prefer to do it this way, as I can load up the Gentoo Handbook in a
19 >> browser and avoid the risk of some typos by copy/pasting some
20 >> commands. And if I hit an error[1], I can copy/paste if I need to dig
21 >> up someone else who's had a similar problem.
22 >>
23 >> [1] And, really, every new box is unique, and I always find
24 >> *something* to file a bug report against...
25 >
26 > Is it the only running machine and you con only do the install sitting
27 > at the machine?
28
29 Occasionally that's the most convenient approach, sure. Especially
30 when physical space is tight, or when the new box has much larger
31 display[s] available to it.
34 > I do most installs by booting the Gentoo install CD, enabling shh and
35 > then shelling in from another machine where I run the handbook and
36 > copy/paste the commandsin my shell terminal. No need for Ubuntu to do
37 > that unless the machine is somehow in isolation and doesn't have
38 > networking.
39 >
40 > That said, using Ubuntu might be a very good way to do it especially
41 > if you are going to build a RAID which isn't automatically recognizzed
42 > at bott by the kernel. I.e. - needs an initrd. Think metadata > 0.9
43 > and things like RAID5 or 6.
44 >
45 > I once used Ubuntu to get a PowerPC machine booting Linux, then
46 > studied how Ubuntu did and did my Gentoo install from scratch on a
47 > different partition until it worked at which time I removed Ubuntu.
48
49 Note I never said I used Ubuntu for this process. I was using the
50 Gentoo live DVD. I don't see the need to use an Ubuntu disc over a
51 Gentoo disc, in this case.
55 :wq