From: Michael Niggli <m.niggli@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] usb mp3 player can't be mounted
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:05:39
1 maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > I posted earlier on this subject but scored no hits.
5 > I've been poking around on the Web for answers but so
6 > far without luck.
7 >
8 > When I plug the player into port and $dmesg, this
9 > comes up:
10 >
11 > <SNIP>
12 >
13 > Why won't it assign a drive, like /dev/sda? It does on
14 > another machine with virtually the same setup.
15 >
16 > Nothing shows up in udevinfo, cat /proc/partitions.
17 >
18 > but,
19 >
20 > #lsusb
21 > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e8:9826 Samsung Electronics
22 > Co., Ltd
23 >
24 > and
25 >
26 > $cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
27 > <snip>
28 > S: Manufacturer=NewTech Inc
29 > S: Product=USB Mass Storage Device 2.0
30 > <snip>
31 >
32 > I tried making the node manually(assuming /dev/sda)
33 >
34 > #mknod /dev/sda b 8 0
35 >
36 > but attempts to mount the device return "/dev/sda is
37 > not a valid block device"
38 >
39 > What am I missing?
40 >
41 > Maxim
42 >
43 In the other post you mentioned that the kernel configs of those two
44 machines are,
45 concerning USB settings, the same. But how about SCSI disk support? It
46 seems to
47 be needed for USB storage, or at least its help text in menuconfig says
48 so... :)
51 Michael
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list