From: Brian Hesdorfer <zerophnx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Allow delay for booting from USB device?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:01:46
1 On 4/18/2014 9:05 AM, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday 18 April 2014 12:02:01 Thomas Mueller wrote:
3 >> Is there a way to make Gentoo or other Linux allow extra time when root is
4 >> on a USB device? Any way to say "just a second" or more like 15 seconds
5 >> before aborting with the message that root partition does not exist?
6 >>
7 >> In this case it's an IDE hard drive in a USB enclosure.
8 >>
9 >> FreeBSD seems to handle this situation better. I would get a
10 >> mountroot>
11 >> prompt, to which I would respond
12 >> ufs:/dev/ada0p3
13 >> and be good.
14 >>
15 >> I could avoid this situation with /boot/loader.conf
16 >>
17 >> legal.realtek.license_ack=1
18 >> rsu-rtl8712fw_load="YES"
19 >> kern.cam.scsi_delay="13000" # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
20 >> kern.cam.boot_delay="16000" # Delay (in ms) of root mount for CAM bus
21 >> hint.re.0.disabled="1"
22 >>
23 >> but don't know if Linux has anything like this.
24 >>
25 >> Only lines 3 and 4 are relevant to this issue; other lines are for different
26 >> issues.
27 >>
28 >> Tom
29 > Try adding " rootdelay = 15 " to the kernel commandline.
30 > This should make the kernel wait 15 seconds before trying to access the root-
31 > device.
32 >
33 > See:
34 > http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/re58.html
35 >
36 > I used this myself in the past when booting from USB-devices.
37 >
38 > Kind regards,
39 >
40 > Joost
41 >
42 Tiny Core linux, which is primarily booted over usb, does something
43 similar. If I'm understanding this right, they have a loop in their
44 initrd that just waits a maximum of X seconds until it shows up.
45
46 I'm not sure how easy this would be to move into something else.
47
48 Lines 114-128:
49 http://git.tinycorelinux.net/index.cgi?url=Core-scripts.git/tree/etc/init.d/tc-config