From: Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 16:18:02
1 Le 2015-08-28 07:24, Tom H a écrit :
2 > On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM, Grant Edwards
3 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2015-08-27, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 6:27 PM, Michel Catudal <mcatudal@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>>> I've had serious problems in the past getting to to install on a partition
7 >>>> and gave up. Is that bug fixed? It insists on installing on the MBR which is
8 >>>> unacceptable.
9 >>> It's not a bug, and it won't be "fixed". Installing on a partition is
10 >>> simply not supported.
11 >> So, grub2 refuses to share power and cooperate with another bootloader.
12 >> Bill Gates would be pround.
13 >>
14 >> For those of us with multiple Linux installations on a disk, that's a
15 >> pretty big reason to stick with grub-legacy.
16 > You can boot multiple installations via grub2 with os-prober.
19 You have to be able to boot the os that grub is installed on to be able to fix booting issues. If the OS that has control of grub2 is wacked you are screwed.
20 At least with a bootloader that independant of any operating system and with a nice graphic interface it is a piece of cake to fix things since you do not ever lose your bootloader unless you let grub write on the MBR or on your bootloader partition.
21
22 I know that you can boot on grub if it is not wiped but the interface is not friendly at all and if you do not remember the syntax you are screwed. Until grub becomes a nice real bootloader with a friendly user interface it cannot be allowed to be the sole
23 controller of booting.
24
25 Michel
28 For Linux Software visit