From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: android and mtp
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 18:19:07
1 On 2012-12-24, Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 24 December 2012 09:24:16 AM IST, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2012-12-23, luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> wrote:
4 >>> on 2012-12-22 at 17:13 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Now, imagine you are the guy at Samsung deciding what features the S2
7 >>>> will support. Which option you gonna pick?
8 >>>
9 >>> yeah, you're right, i guess. but for once i'd like the guys at the
10 >>> corporations to think like me, and not to be forced to think like
11 >>> them...
12 >>
13 >> I'm glad they chose MTP: I want my phone to continue to work while I'm
14 >> transferring files. In order to mount the filesystem via USB, the
15 >> phone would have to unmount it (which means it's nothing but a flash
16 >> drive). In order to mount the filesystem via USB, it also means
17 >> they'd be forced to use VFAT for the Linux root filesystem, and that
18 >> sucks bad.
21 > They still use VFAT for the so called sdcard (my Xperia S has internal
22 > storage, not extensible).
23
24 That's understandable. But for phones with only a single flash device
25 (like my Nexus Galaxy), using MTP is the only sensical thing to do.
26 If you want to access only the SD card, then VFAT and USB mass storage
27 works (well, it works as well as VFAT allows).
30 Grant