From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't get PulseAudio to work
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 10:36:10
1 On 05/22/2010 12:34 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >> This installed PulseAudio and rebuilt all applications to drop OSS
5 >> support and use ALSA or Pulse instead.
8 > sure?
9
10 Never mind, found the problem after googling a lot:
11
12 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2010-January/023768.html
13
14 PA does not work without ConsoleKit, yet the ebuild did not pull CK as a
15 dep :-/ Will file a bug about it.
16
17 As for the results, it's pretty much as I expected: latency cannot
18 compete with OSS4's vmix. But it isn't worse than stand-alone ALSA+dmix
19 though, which is surprising.
20
21 Another problem: Amarok 2 stopped working. That is, it loads OK, but
22 there's no sound at all when playing something with the Xine backend.
23 The Gstreamer backend works, but (as always) sound quality sucks (pops
24 and crackles). Any way to get Phonon-Xine to work with PA? I tried to
25 set "audio.driver:alsa" in ~/.xine/config, but to no avail; still no sound.