From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't get PulseAudio to work
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 10:47:23
1 On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 05/22/2010 12:34 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Samstag 22 Mai 2010, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > >> This installed PulseAudio and rebuilt all applications to drop OSS
5 > >> support and use ALSA or Pulse instead.
6 > >
7 > > sure?
8 >
9 > Never mind, found the problem after googling a lot:
10 >
11 > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2010-January/023768.html
12 >
13 > PA does not work without ConsoleKit, yet the ebuild did not pull CK as a
14 > dep :-/ Will file a bug about it.
15 >
16 > As for the results, it's pretty much as I expected: latency cannot
17 > compete with OSS4's vmix. But it isn't worse than stand-alone ALSA+dmix
18 > though, which is surprising.
19 >
20 > Another problem: Amarok 2 stopped working. That is, it loads OK, but
21 > there's no sound at all when playing something with the Xine backend.
22 > The Gstreamer backend works, but (as always) sound quality sucks (pops
23 > and crackles). Any way to get Phonon-Xine to work with PA? I tried to
24 > set "audio.driver:alsa" in ~/.xine/config, but to no avail; still no sound.
25
26 yeah, with that set it tries to use alsa, not PA.
27
28 Why again are you wasting your time with PA?