From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VMWare Hypervisor - SD vs CF card?
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:41:44
1 On 2012-06-22 12:04 AM, Matthew Marlowe <matt@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:47 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> I could get 2 of these for each server, each with a mirrored pair of CF (or
5 >> SD) cards (mirror mode is defined by a jumper or switch on the adapter),
6 >> then mirror those (in the BIOS), which would result in a total of FOUR CF
7 >> (or SD) redundant cards (a mirror of 2 mirrored pairs) for the hypervisor...
8 >> and I can do this for quite a bit less than even a SINGLE 146GB SAS drive...
9 >>
10 >> Is there any reason NOT to do this?
11
12 > If you have a small ESX cluster, there are numerous advantages to
13 > having some local storage on each your ESX hosts in addition to your
14 > primary SAN storage:
15
16 We actually will be using ONLY local storage... Dell R515's with 8 450GB
17 SAS drives in RAID10 (with one hot spare assigned)...
18
19 A decent SAN wasn't in the budget (yet, but we may go that route in a
20 year or two)...
21
22 > - Lastly, I never really have been a fan of ESXi as an upgrade from
23 > ESX.....seems that it was more driven by vmware making windows admins
24 > feel more confident since they didn't have to learn linux for ESX
25 > console.
26
27 This is a new install, so not an 'upgrade'...
28
29 > But, there is nothing keeping you from getting mirrored CF/SD cards
30 > for the hypervisor boot and also keeping a few mirrored 2TB SATA
31 > drives on each host for local datastores (7200rpm SATA is much cheaper
32 > than 15K rpm SAS).
33
34 I do plan on having a couple of large SATA drives in RAID0 (for speed)
35 for temporary snapshots (which I then backup using rsnapshot or my VM
36 backup s/w) and for if I ever need to add some drives to my RAID10
37 (probably won't, the 1.7TB I'll have is 4 times what we have now which
38 is only 70% utilized)...
39
40 I get the CF cards today (already have the adapters), so we'll see how
41 this goes this weekend...