From: znx <znxster@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SPAM] - [gentoo-user] Getting BC not to truncate at the decimal point? - Bayesian Filter detected spam
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 01:45:27
1 On 24/05/06, Harald Arnesen <harald@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > "Mike Huber" <michael.huber@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > Hi,
5 > > I'm just trying to do some quick calculations using bc, but the version
6 > > installed through portage truncates on multiplication/division. It didn't
7 > > used to do this 2 years ago when I was taking number theory, and there are
8 > > no USE flags available for sys-devel/bc to change this. From the manpage:
9 >
10 > $ bc
11 > bc 1.06
12 > Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
13 > This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
14 > For details type `warranty'.
15 > 101/3
16 > 33
17 >
18 > $ bc -l
19 > bc 1.06
20 > Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
21 > This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
22 > For details type `warranty'.
23 > 101/3
24 > 33.66666666666666666666
25 > --
26 > Hilsen Harald.
27 >
28 > --
29 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
33 Hi,
34
35 I have always understood bc has always truncated (or at least through
36 my general usage) whenever I have needed it to grow the decimal
37 precision I use the scale= option:
38
39 $ echo "101/3" | bc
40 33
41 $ echo "scale=10; 101/3" | bc
42 33.6666666666
43 $ echo "scale=3; 101/3" | bc
44 33.666
45 $ echo "101/3" | bc -l
46 33.66666666666666666666
47
48 -l auto sets the scale to 20 (as per manpage). Same version of bc.
49
50 Thanks
51 Mark
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list