From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:35:34
1 > So, since I have /usr separate from the rest, I could mount it read only
2 > and reduce the chance of corruption if say my UPS failed? I already do
3 > this for /boot. Interesting. Very interesting indeed.
4 >
5 > If the other issues happen, computers is likely the least of our
6 > problems. ;-)
7
8 Or if the bulk of the user data is under /usr perhaps with
9 further partitions for even more highly written locations
10 then you can have a more trusted ro root though in fact all the
11 partitions gain. It's not just power failure this covers and less so
12 these days with journaling, (though remember, journaling may not apply
13 to your system such as some embedded). I guess also the system crash
14 term may have been used in the FHS to cover more than just power
15 failure, filesystem bugs (less code used), hardware failure etc..
16
17 There are other plus points in the FHS too.
18
19 A counter point is head movement though that could be improved at the
20 same time due to a reduced fragmentation (I know it's much lower on unix
21 but still applies) depending on a few obvious things and removed with
22 ssd.
23
24 p.s. I'm 30 in January, so I hope I wouldn't be thought of as an old
25 fart already. Just because I agree with the /bin/grep /usr/bin/grep
26 consolidation but not the data consolidation.
30
31 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
32 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
33 universal interface'
34
35 (Doug McIlroy)