From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 06:10:45
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/17/2012 12:44 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Question. A file system, /usr for example, is mounted read only. The
5 >> system crashes for whatever reason such as a power failure. Since it is
6 >> mounted read only, would there be a larger or smaller risk of corrupted
7 >> data on that partition? From what I understand, the possible corruption
8 >> is from files not being written to the drive but since it is mounted
9 >> read only, then that removes that possibility.
10 >>
11 >> Just checking on a thought here.
12 >>
13 > Power failure? Your data is fine.
14 >
15 > But "whatever reason?" Think of the possibilities!
16 >
17 > * The Earth stops rotating and your hard drive is flung at 67,000
18 > miles per hour directly into the sun.
19 >
20 > * Today is backwards day, and your ones and zeros have been switched.
21 > Fsck should be able to handle this, somebody file a bug.
22 >
23 > * The system never really existed, it was all in your imagination.
24 > Fade to credits.
28 So, since I have /usr separate from the rest, I could mount it read only
29 and reduce the chance of corruption if say my UPS failed? I already do
30 this for /boot. Interesting. Very interesting indeed.
31
32 If the other issues happen, computers is likely the least of our
33 problems. ;-)
34
35 Dale
36
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!