From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT crypto] How to encrypt a directory without root?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 00:21:06
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:27:32 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Then use rsync instead of tar, then you can mount the remote
6 >> > filesystem using sshfs and encfs to read individual files. It's a
7 >> > little slow as you are layering two FUSE filesystems, but quicker
8 >> > than downloading a complete tarball just to get at one file. I've
9 >> > used this method with an online backup service and it works.
10 >>
11 >> Neil seems to be thinking the remote has encfs on board... it does
12 >> not. Hence my original quest for a different encryption process,
13 >> (mcrypt)
14 >
15 > I wasn't thinking that at all. You use sshfs to mount the remote
16 > directory locally, then mount that with encfs. All the remote host needs
17 > is ssh.
18
19 I'm not sure what is going wrong here, if neither of us is listening
20 to the other or what... but I've stressed that I wanted a solution for
21 when I could not access my home machine.... Does your solution involve
22 that?
23
24 Expecting to work out encfs and sshfs/fuse etc on a session in the
25 nearest kinkos, probably on machines running one or another version of
26 windows, and further with no download or install options on said
27 machine is not all that nifty of an approach.